ORGANIZATION: Explora Journeys
BUSINESS AREA: Galley
LINE MANAGER: Butcher
The primary responsibility of the Assistant Butcher is to handle all raw meat preparations assigned by the Head Butcher.
SCOPE OF ROLE
- Manage the organization of the stores and freezer and ensure compliance with company standards.
- Possess basic professional butcher knowledge and skills.
- Possess a thorough understanding of how to handle, defrost, prepare, and portion all cuts of meat.
- Possess advanced knife handling and butchery skills.
- Conduct Portion Control reviews on a daily basis to ensure compliance.
- Possess familiarity with the United States Public Health rules and regulations and ensure that they are followed on a daily basis.
- Ensure that all the HACCP procedures are applied at all times and followed correctly.
- Ensure that the assigned area of responsibility is ready for the announced or unannounced inspection conducted by Ship Management or local authorities.
- Responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling, and maintenance of records, reports, supplies, and equipment within the assigned section.
- Possess familiarity with the galley layout in terms of safety and security.
- Have a full understanding of ship rules and regulations (SMS).
- Participate in all required safety drills/training.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Assist the Butcher with any storing operation.
- High school diploma.
- Minimum of 3 years in butchery in a large operation.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess the ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs including but not limited to, Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- USPH or HACCP certification preferred.
TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Possess a valid passport and seaman book.