ORGANIZATION: Explora Journeys
BUSINESS AREA: Galley
LINE MANAGER: Sous Chef Pastry
The primary responsibility of the Chef de Partie Pastry is to assist the Executive Pastry Chef, Executive Sous Chef Pastry, and Pastry Sous Chef to effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry Production.
SCOPE OF ROLE
- Ensure that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with company Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure that pastry personnel is guided and trained to increase productivity.
- Manage and run a section with the assistance of the Sous Chef Pastry, and with minimum supervision required from the Pastry Chef.
- Maintain a disciplined shift, with full control of both the production and the personnel assigned.
- Ensure that menus, recipes, guidelines, and methods provided by the Executive Pastry Chef are followed accordingly.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by complying with USPH and Company Regulations.
- Able to work in any section of the Pastry Department and demonstrate methods and recipes to subordinates.
- Produce and maintain the expected level of food quality in the assigned area and according to instructions from the Pastry Chef.
- Analyze recipes constantly for any possible improvements.
- Submit daily food requisition to the Executive Pastry Chef.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the Storeroom for accuracy
- Ensure that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed, and communicated to the Executive Pastry Chef.
- Possess knowledge of established quality standards and company policies.
- Maintain quality and consistency in taste, presentation, and appearance according to recipes and pictures.
- Rectify discrepancies immediately.
- Communicate any relevant provision issues to the Executive Pastry Chef daily.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
- Control and maintain all Pastry equipment distributed to staff, ensuring that it is cleaned and/or sanitized and returned in an acceptable condition after each use.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for an announced or unannounced inspection, performed by Ship Management or local authorities.
- Ensure that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Maintain cost control within the department/team.
- Conduct workstation spot checks to ensure items are correctly cleaned and stored minimize deterioration and waste.
- Control food production to minimize/avoid waste.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and prepare for future advancement.
- Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
- Assist the Procurement team with storing operations and quality control.
- Advanced Pastry Skills.
- Minimum of 8 years in the profession in a luxury hospitality establishment or upscale cruise line.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess the ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel.
- High School education or international equivalent.
- Pastry School degree.
- Food Hygiene Certification.
TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Possess a valid passport and seaman book.