ORGANIZATION: Explora Journeys
BUSINESS AREA: Galley
LINE MANAGER: CDC Outlet
The primary responsibility of the Head Butcher is to handle all raw meat preparations, which includes, but is not limited to the ownership and follow-up of the portion control, thawing control, ordering, and proper stock rotation.
SCOPE OF ROLE
- Possess advanced Butcher cutting techniques for beef, pork, poultry, veal, and lamb.
- Accountable for the loading, receiving, and safe storage of inventory.
- Control food cost, waste, food safety, handling, and sanitation to be in compliance with USPH.
- Possess a thorough understanding of how to handle, defrost, prepare, and portion all cuts of meat.
- Possess advanced knife handling skills.
- Coordinate and supervise all personnel assigned to the assigned section.
- Assign and delegate tasks.
- Conduct portion control reviews on a daily basis to ensure compliance.
- Control production levels.
- Recommend improvements and better cost control.
- Ensure that economical work practices are applied by subordinates, to avoid food waste.
- Prepare Daily Meat Thawing requisitions needed for assigned section production.
- Prepare electronic Daily Meat consumption recap with accuracy.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
- Ensure that all the HACCP procedures are applied at all times and followed correctly.
- Ensure that the assigned area of responsibility is ready for the announced or unannounced inspection conducted by Ship Management or local authorities.
- Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and in preparation for future advancement.
- Maintain cost control within the department/team.
- Ensure economical work procedures.
- Conduct workstation spot checks to ensure items are correctly cleaned and stored minimize deterioration and waste.
- Possess familiarity with the galley layout in terms of safety and security.
- Have a full understanding of ship rules and regulations (SMS).
- Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
- Assist the Procurement team with storing and ensuring FIFO rotation is applied.
- Minimum of 10 years in butchery in large operations.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess the ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Familiarly with relational database-driven inventory control systems.
- High School education or international equivalent.
- 3-year apprenticeship or Butchery Degree.
- USPH or HACCP certification.
TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Possess a valid passport and seaman book.