ORGANIZATION: Explora Journeys
BUSINESS AREA: Galley
LINE MANAGER: Pastry Chef
The Sous Chef Pastry is the second in command in the Pastry Department, and his primary responsibility is to assist the Pastry Chef in effectively supervising and managing the onboard Pastry Production.
SCOPE OF ROLE
- Ensure that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with company Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure that pastry personnel is guided and trained to increase productivity.
- Manage the food production operation in all outlets for the Pastry Department in a smooth and efficient manner.
- Responsible for the Pastry production for the Buffet area.
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef with any additional assignments.
- Ensure that menus, recipes, guidelines, and methods provided by the Corporate Pastry Chef are followed accordingly.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
- Supervise and check all pastry outlets (Buffet, Specialty Restaurant, Afternoon Teatime), ensuring that standards are followed accordingly.
- Produce and maintain the expected level of food quality in the assigned area of responsibility.
- Analyze recipes constantly for any possible improvements.
- Assure ongoing training, following set standards.
- Work closely with the Kitchen Steward to accomplish tasks related to inventory, equipment control and maintenance, Public Health Sanitation Rules and Regulations, and training and re-enforcement.
- Oversee the electronic requisitioning and ordering process to ensure the proper use of ingredients.
- Supervise the stores frequently to monitor the Pastry items and highly perishable products.
- Ensure that the Pastry Department is productive and operated with the least supervision required from the Executive Sous Chef Pastry and Executive Pastry Chef.
- Provide Crew and Staff Mess with a selection of pastries goods for all meals.
- Ensure that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed, and communicated to the Corporate Pastry Chef.
- Use Checklist daily to monitor production and preparation levels.
- Monitor working hours, maintain TAR, and, if applicable, correct TAR entries for payroll purposes.
- Provide the necessary guidance/training and information to all Pastry Staff to be fully productive,
- Maintain quality and consistency in taste, presentation, and appearance according to recipes and pictures.
- Rectify discrepancies immediately.
- Communicate with the provisioning team on a daily basis to utilize highly perishable food items.
- Control and maintain all Pastry equipment distributed to staff, ensuring that it is cleaned and/or sanitized and returned in an acceptable condition after each use.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for an announced or unannounced inspection, performed by Ship Management or local authorities.
- Ensure that Pastry Personnel transport their provisions with the correct utensils from the storeroom to their respective outlets.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the Storeroom for accuracy
- Oversee the Dinner Service Line.
- Supervise other activities such as afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, or special functions where the Pastry Department is involved.
- Ensure that the HACCP program is followed.
- Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and in preparation for future advancement.
- Ensure that all food crew members follow the rules and regulations of the ship.
- Develop and conduct training for personnel in their area of
responsibility according to standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed, and communicated to the Pastry Chef.
- Control food and general expenses related to the production in the assigned area.
- Maintain cost control within the department/team.
- Control food production to minimize/avoid waste.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
- 10 years of experience in the field of 5-star hotels, high-end restaurants, or cruise lines.
- Basic Bakery Skills.
- Advanced Pastry Skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess the ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Familiarly with relational database-driven inventory control systems.
- High School education or international equivalent.
- 3-year apprenticeship for professional chefs or a Bachelor of Science degree in Pastry Culinary Arts.
- USPH or HACCP certification.
TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Possess a valid passport and seaman book.