ORGANIZATION: Explora Journeys
BUSINESS AREA: Galley
LINE MANAGER: Chef de Cuisine
The primary responsibility of the Sous Chef is to maintain an efficient operation by constantly analyzing the quality and cost of food production.
SCOPE OF ROLE
- Maintain set budget and monitor time management.
- Provide ongoing training and ensure that the standards set by the Corporate Offices are followed.
- Ensure safe, quality food products and complete guest satisfaction.
- Develop and comply with the systems, procedures, rules, objectives, and timescales set by the organization and take a disciplined approach when undertaking tasks.
- Work within a technical/specialized area of expertise to improve the quality of the service and product provided.
- Ensure full adherence to menus, recipes, methods, and operational specifics provided by the company.
- Conduct food tastings on a daily basis.
- Monitor and assist Section Heads to prepare the daily electronic food requisitions according to the forecasted figures.
- Monitor the Dinner Service Line in the assigned location, to ensure smooth and efficient service, presentation, and final plating.
- Monitor the production and preparation level using the Culinary Checklist.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
- Report any malfunctions and necessary repairs that affect the daily operation in the galley, and that violate Public Health & SMS requirements to the Technical department.
- Ensure that all the HACCP procedures are applied at all times and followed accordingly.
- Ensure that the assigned area of responsibility is ready for the announced or unannounced inspection conducted by Ship Management or local authorities.
- Be present during all inspections.
- Ensure and reinforce the daily Recipe review program with CDP’s and Section Heads. Recipe reviews must be submitted to =the culinary department for review and approval.
- Enforce the established working schedule for the galley team, based on 10 hours a day and 7 days a week.
- Monitor all daily requisitions, especially expensive items (Meat, Fish and Seafood/Flagged items)
- Ensure the portion control chart is followed accordingly.
- Attend all meetings, training activities, or classes related to the assigned position as required.
- Monitor the training and familiarization of new food crewmembers to their new job and living environment.
- Develop a program to train personnel in the appropriate area of responsibility according to standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that the recipe training program is conducted as required.
- Responsible for controlling food and general expenses related to the production in his / her area, set by the Corporate Office Guidelines and Budget.
- Maintain cost control within the department/team.
- Ensure economical work practices are in place to minimize and/or avoid waste.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Participate in the Cooking Demonstration as required.
- Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
- Assist the Procurement team with storing operations and quality control.
- Supervise activities such as afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, Main galley, lunch service, and evening duties.
- Advanced culinary skills, leadership, and experience.
- Minimum of 8 years in the profession (Quality Hotels and Restaurants).
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a management role in a well-recognized luxury hospitality establishment or upscale cruise line.
- Fluent in written and spoken English,
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess the ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- High School education or international equivalent.
- 3-year apprenticeship for professional chefs or a Degree in Culinary Arts.
- USPH or HACCP certification.
TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Possess a valid passport and seaman book.