This policy explains how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act No 4, of 2013 (“POPIA”).
At Shosholoza Ocean Academy (NPC) (including this website and POPI Act-Compliance) we are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully, and transparently.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
The information we collect at Shosholoza Ocean Academy (NPC) serves to:
- Process your personal information for training, recruitment or placement on MSC Cruises’ vessels, nationally or internationally, based on the ship specific itinerary. For this purpose we will collect contact details including, but not limited to, your Name, Surname, Address, National ID number, Passport details, Medical Information and Training Certifications and Police Clearance.
- Collect information directly from you where you provide us with such details. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
- Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information such as your IP address.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you. In addition, where necessary your information may be retained for legal or research purposes.
The purpose of which may be:
- To gather contact information;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised user for security purposes;
- For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice;
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to our third-party service providers who are involved in the delivery of our services to you. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with the privacy requirements as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act No4, of 2013.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes,
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
- Information Security
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure.
Our security policies and procedures cover:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we contract third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that personal information that we remain responsible for, is kept secure.
We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information to agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
YOUR RIGHTS: ACCESS TO INFORMATION
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. We will need a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
To do this, simply contact us at the numbers/addresses as provided on our website and specify what information you require.
Please note that any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee.
CORRECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will require a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before making changes to personal information we may hold about you.
Note: We would appreciate it if you would keep your personal information accurate.
The purpose of this policy is to describe what cookies are, what we use them for, and how you can manage them during your visit to or use of our websites.
- WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files placed on your device when you visit our websites. These files do not contain your personal data but allow us to associate you with a certain device.
Cookies provide several useful functions to you, including:
- granting you access to restricted content
- tailoring our website’s functionality to you personally by letting us remember your preferences, location, or device type
- improving our website performance
- understanding who our audience is so that we can provide content most relevant to you
- allowing third parties to provide services to our website;
- WHAT TYPES OF COOKIES DO WE USE?
We use different types of cookies on our websites. Some cookies are placed by us, while others are placed by third parties, including but not limited to suppliers or advertisers. These cookies may be deleted from your device at different times, such as at the end of your browsing session (when you leave the website) or after a pre-set amount of time, or they may persist on your device until you delete them. We use the following cookies:
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are normally set in response to actions made by you, amounting to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging-in or completing forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but please note that parts of the website may no longer function correctly. Note: These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors navigate the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, the site will not be performance optimised for your use.
- DELETING COOKIES
Your internet browser generally accepts cookies automatically, but you can modify your settings to stop accepting them. You can also delete cookies manually, however, please note that our websites all require cookies to function properly and by removing them they may no longer be useable. You can read how to delete cookies at Digital Trends.
- UPDATES TO THIS POLICY
We may occasionally make changes to this policy. When we make material changes to this policy, we will provide you with a prominent notice on our website or send you an email.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any queries about this notice; you need further information about our privacy practices; wish to withdraw consent; exercise preferences or access or correct your personal information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our website.